View Single Post
Old 11-19-2012, 10:03 AM   #32
Roddick85
Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakkijarvi View Post
Ok, I'm going to come at this from a slightly different angle. Along the lines of why you play, who you play, and why you play who you play on a given day.
Of course I don't earn a living playing tennis, it's a hobby, I play for fun but I also enjoy good competition and I do have goals/objectives in terms of what I expect out of my game, it's what keeps motivated. I don't really play to get in shape, as i'm already in good shape and I workout off the courts.

I've been playing tennis on/off for the last 15 years. It's only about 2 years ago that I started to play regularly, 52 weeks a year as opposed to playing only in the summer as I wasn't part of any indoor tennis club. Before that, I used to play multiple sports all at once, I wasn't bad, but I wasn't exactly impressed with my performance either, and when i'm not performing the way I want, I don't have fun. With that in mind, I decided that instead of being average at a few sports, I would just stick with one and be the best I can be, no matter what. Tennis was always my first love, and I thought I had better skills in tennis than the other sports I was practicing.

It wouldn't be an understatement to say I live & breathe tennis every minute i'm not at work. I've played over 80 matches in 2012 alone + numerous practice sessions. I spent my entire vacations playing matches everyday. I calculate my own personnal statistics. I invest a lot of time in the game, so I do have expectations. As some people said, perhaps I should just focus on getting better than worrying about losing, didn't really saw it this way until yesterday, but perhaps once i'm done paying my "dues" with the lessons/new skills, I will rise above my current level.

As for who I play? Pretty much anyone, from total random strangers I contact from my club's partner list or in the leagues, to childhood friends I first started tennis with. At the end of the day, I don't really care who I play against as long as i'm playing someone that will give me a decent challenge. Sure I hate playing grinders/pushers etc... but I have to accept that they are a part of the tennis reality. Do I get frustrated against them? Totally. Will I give up playing them? No because I believe one fine day, I will beat them easily. While yesterday I was frustrated, part of it was the grinders, but also my own unsatisfactory results and the fact that my lessons have yet to fully match my expectations.

Last edited by Roddick85 : 11-19-2012 at 10:08 AM. Reason: Forgot question
Roddick85 is offline   Reply With Quote