View Single Post
Old 11-19-2012, 02:53 PM   #42
Timbo's hopeless slice
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by max View Post
Oh, but there is a poetry to the language of landscape description that movies can't capture.

I saw the movie series in a movie house. I've read the trilogy several times over. I think the movie was a few notches lower intellectually than the books.

I just reread The Hobbit and like it because it is such a canny contraption; a child's book holding within it this much larger scheme, and only slightly adverting to it.There's a genius with the simple language, too. Language counts for a lot, and movies just can't present this.
you see, I thought the movies were a few notches lower in pretension that the books...

But then, I just loathe poems in 'Elvish' (hello? made up language alert!) and Tom Bombadil, so...

(and yes, I am very aware of the storylines and myth from which both those elements are drawn, they just irritate me, ok? )

I love that about The Hobbit, a canny contraption indeed, and I worry that Jackson wants to stretch it out over three films. I thought this would be a perfect opportunity for one really good film.

Last edited by Timbo's hopeless slice : 11-19-2012 at 03:06 PM.
Timbo's hopeless slice is offline   Reply With Quote