View Single Post
Old 11-19-2012, 06:54 PM   #388
alidisperanza
Hall Of Fame

Location: The fishy looking thing that sticks off the East Coast
Default Wilson HyperLast/ Becker Bomber

Holy Hannah! I found some time to string a new frame!!!

String: Wilson Hyperlast (Kevlar)/ Becker Bomber White
Tension 48/50
Frame: Yonex 95D

The pic I have is enormous so the link to my drop box is above.

I miss Kevlar... I really do. I loved hitting with Ashaway/AluRough at 58 in a Prestige mid... I can only imagine what it'll feel like in my 95D at much lower tension. I'm also hoping it's going to be a temporary solution to my string breaking issue since I no longer have time to string

VIVA LA KEVLAR! IT WORKS! I hit with it last night in the 95D and it gelled really nicely. At this low tension, it doesn't feel terribly harsh, or even all that stiff. Granted it's doesn't quite have the pocket or flex like a bed of poly but I had no issues controlling the ball, flattening it out, or spinning it up. Volleys are particularly nice because of the crisp and directness of the kevlar. The ball snaps into place, nothing more. Lets see how long it lasts

Stringing: Really easy. I miss Kevlar. No stretching, no problems. Clamp it as tight as you want, just don't kink it!

Ground Strokes:
This setup, as I've strung it, is pretty low powered. The kevlar doesn't give you much in the way of pop and the poly I used is not really a power string. For future reference, I might venture towards a more lively cross. Having said that, it does have great directional control and variable depth. There are no freebies here, you have to hit the proper stroke with the proper technique. The predominant ball I had success hitting was a very flat drive. The kevlar works well here because the ball stays fairly low to the ground. I was able to hit topspin too but the kevlar doesn't quite have the bite that a full bed of poly does. Again, this could verymuch be due to the fact that I haven't been on court in a few months.

Serves:

About average. Less mph, more control. Less kick, but better ability to place the ball.

Volleys:
Hit a few and it was as expected. Snappy. Great for redirecting shots with a bit of an extra zip. What you see is what you get. There is no extra so it's a direct feedback system.

Durability/Tension Maintenance:
TBD but the kevlar is starting to shift around a bit at ~2hr mark as expected

Last edited by alidisperanza : 12-27-2012 at 10:13 AM.
alidisperanza is offline   Reply With Quote