View Single Post
Old 11-19-2012, 07:14 PM   #18
pvaudio
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisfreak73 View Post
does anyone out there feel like, at times, they get too much spin? i'm finding that with the shaped poly's i'm getting so much spin, especially top spin and that my shots, especially on my FH, are falling way short and near the service line. i almost feel like if you hit with a good amount of top spin you might want to stay away from a shaped poly, in that, if we assume that a shaped poly gives more spin and bite than a round poly. also,

is there such a thing as too much spin? could we (at least me) be falling in love with the excessive loops, dips, and kicks that these stings are providing?
I have found, which I do obviously disclaim is my personal observation, that different strings produce different types of spin. I am not a fan of geared strings. This includes Spiky Shark, Blue Gear, SP Plasma HEXtreme and probably a few others I'm missing. Reason being, they all produce the same sort of spin. It's a very loopy, floaty type of spin which really is more amusing than amazing. The textured strings which I like create what I consider heavy spin: spin combined with pace that bite into the court and push you back. The two best I've found for this are Tour Bite (IMO, the best out there for it) and BHBR. Those are the only two strings where I have been told that having changed nothing but the string that my shots are kicking and skidding. However, there is a problem. Tour Bite has zero feel. I mean, none at all. If you stay at the baseline and that's it, then I see no reason to use any other string. BHBR in my experience is too powerful for a lot of people. With that string, you end up relying on that heavy spin to produce control on your shots because you get more pop than you expect. The best compromise that I've found is Tornado, but it has an extremely unique feel which many do not like, but many do like (me being one of them). Even then, it does not have the feel that I like when I'm at the net, so I stick with my cheapo standby Scorpion.
pvaudio is offline   Reply With Quote