View Single Post
Old 11-19-2012, 11:34 PM   #13
PhrygianDominant
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candide View Post
I'm going to go with pkshooter above and say go for some decent weight. All this guff about a 12oz racquet tiring you out over three sets is a load of malarkey (to use a Bidenism). Airy racquets encourage poor technique as they are overpowered and you see club players all over the world with these 'tweener' racquets waving them around like fly swatters - i.e. a six inch backswing, almost no follow through and general poor form. You can get away with this and win a few games at your club but if you want to move on and not be destined for tweenerdom forever get a racquet with a bit of heft to it and concentrate on developing a nice long stroke. You'll frame a few more balls but will get great sensation when you do middle the ball. There are decently weighted racquets that aren't necessarily 95sq inches. The Solinco looks pretty good (I've never had a hit) but here's another one that may suit you.

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/ProK...PK-KI5PSN.html

I have hit with this and I'm just under 6' and about 190lbs and found it fine. See if you can arrange a demo - you won't even notice the weight but you will notice a difference in how it feels when you strike the ball. At the end of the day a twelve year old can swing these racquets with ease if they use momentum and not try to wrist everything (which is how you'll hurt yourself anyway). I use a Wilson BLX six one 95 by the way and I'm no expert - 4.5 on my best day. There are legions of players around the place with damaged arms from all of the Pure Drives and the like which are stiff as boards, light and powerful - the perfect storm for developing arm issues for people with poor technique. Sooooo here's my two cents worth - there's no such thing as a tweener - there's only players who have been gulled by clever marketing. These racquets are great for guys who can really play but are the worst choice for those building a game. Hope this helps.
I just ordered one of those, can't wait to try it out. Thing looks freakin' sweet!!!!!

Bwahaahhahaha