View Single Post
Old 11-20-2012, 07:01 AM   #15
tennis tom
Hall Of Fame

The OP is writing about how to "get into the heads" of opponents--which for many, under the pressure of competing is not too difficult. I've seen at 4.0 sectionals some guys totally come unhinged when called for a foot-fault by the roving referee. One guy was a lawyer, who started arguing with the ref that it was "Only a technical violation", as only a lawyer could and persisted in foot-faulting and arguing with the ref, who called him on each additional foot fault until he lost the match, much to the dismay of his team-mate--hilarious!

It's very easy to correct for a foot-fault if you have a sound serve--you just move back a few inches and the problem is solved without coming unglued mentally. Sometimes if my serve is going long, I'll step back a few inches to keep it in for a quick fix.

At the same tournament that "Clarence Darrow" was in, I saw another instance of foot faulting being called where the perp did not become temporarily insane. It was in dubs and the roving ref called an f-f on a player who was NOT over the service line. The player was mystified why and the ref said to him you can ask me why and then I can tell you. The player asked, he was stepping over the imaginary line between the deuce/ad sides at the hash mark--which was unusual for doubles. This player handled it much differently then the lawyer in the previous example, fixed it and went merrily on his way.