Thread: Switch to 1HBH?
View Single Post
Old 11-20-2012, 07:31 AM   #17
Mongolmike
Semi-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenC View Post
I hit with a 1HBH, but often tell people who are thinking to switch not to. There are few people who can hit a 1HBH really well and not have to constantly work on it. I have to drill my BH 10X more than my FH.

I think the advantages of a good 1HBH outweigh the advantages of a good 2HBH, but the advantages of a mediocre 2HBH outweigh those of the mediocre 1HBH.

That being said, I will never change as I can hit shots with my 1HBH that I couldn't even hit with a FH. And I can hit my 1HBH harder than I can hit my FH. But again, that is at the expense of a couple of hours a week drilling the 1HBH.
As another 1HBHer... I agree with this. A solid 2HBH is a great weapon, but I can hit AND DISGUISE shots I cannot do with a 2hander (I tried 2HBH for a year with lessons), and for me the 1hander always felt more natural. Like Ken said, a mediocre 2Her is better than a mediocre 1Her, but if the 1Her feels more natural, focus your practice and lessons on dialing it in and don't look back.

One thing to try with the 1Her is, yes, you hit more out in front of your lead foot, but also very important that you aren't also hitting away from your body... you need to step a bit closer to the path of the ball so the swing path of the racquet- the butt of the racquet- passes close to your lead (R) leg. I never measured, but I think there should be less than 12 inches distance between the racquet and your thigh on the swing path for a normal BH return.

Be balanced, lean into the contact, be smooth, compact, and try to keep your chest from opening up and following your arm swing.

Edit: A tip for more racquet snap without extra effort....

On the takeback as your are ready to step into the shot with the racquet back by your left hip, grasp the racquet throat with 2 or 3 fingers with just a couple pounds of pressure. Your racquet swing will pop the racquet out of the grasp of your left hand and that little bit of resistance will add a little pop to your swing. You know you did it right if your left hand fingers snap together as the racquet leaves them. Also at this time, since your left hand is already at your left hip... as your racquet is moving forward, move your left hand/arm back behind you to help with your balance... you'll end up with 80% of your weight on your front foot and both arms out like a crooked crucifix... your left behind you, the right out in front.

Last edited by Mongolmike : 11-20-2012 at 07:47 AM.
Mongolmike is offline   Reply With Quote