View Single Post
Old 11-20-2012, 01:12 PM   #35
Cindysphinx
G.O.A.T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureshs View Post
The handfaults are especially obnoxious. Footfaults barely result in an advantage for the servers at the club level. But impunity from handfaults has given rise to a number of doubles players who take full advantage of it and end up putting away balls in an illegal fashion. They stand at the net and basically you have no recourse when they hit a ball on the other side.
Handfaults are not "obnoxious." You are assuming that you have a good vantage point to know if the opponent made contact on your side (you don't in close cases) or that your opponent does (he doesn't). Hand faults are currently against the rules, but I think there are good reasons to change the rule.

The Handfaulter cannot know if he does or does not hand fault. This is different from other things the player is supposed to call on herself -- like double-hit, being hit by the ball, not up, touching the net, framing the ball. The player often gets some feedback (you can feel it when the ball ticks your racket) or is presumably looking closely at the ball (not up).

Since no player on the court can see if a player breaks an imaginary plane and hits the ball on the other side of the net, why even have that rule?

As it is a dumb, unenforceable rule, I don't get too worked up about it. If my opponent comes close to making contact on my side . . . well, whose fault was it that I left a ball hanging or failed to lob a player who was draped on the net?