View Single Post
Old 11-20-2012, 01:26 PM   #38
woodrow1029
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodrow1029 View Post
I will tell you what irritates me the most about foot faults (from an official's point of view).

It really bothers me when I am officiating at a juniors tournament or at a collegiate match/tournament, and I call a foot fault on a player, and their coach/parents get mad at me for calling a foot fault.

A bit of background, when I am in the chair, and am there for the entire match, I will call foot faults officially from the first one I see. If I am roving, and I get called onto the court because a player says their opponent is foot faulting, I will call the first one that I see. When I am roving, and I walk onto a court on my own, and I see one that is not terribly blatant, I will let the player know on the next changeover that he needs to watch out for his footfaults, because if nobody is complaining, I don't think that it's great just to walk on court (sometimes without knowing the flow of the match), and just get involved by calling them immediately, unless it is very blatant. I will then stay for a couple of games and watch. If it continues, I will call them.

But going back to my original post, it bothers me when the parents/coaches get mad at the officials for correctly calling a foot fault, instead of getting irritated with their player and helping them correct the problem.
I will also add to my rant (even though this part isn't about foot faults), while I'm in the ranting mood, that I am tired of parents threatening to file lawsuits against officials because an umpire gave their kid a code violation with the reason that the official gave the code violation because their kid is a different race than the official. Or players filing lawsuits because they were defaulted from a tournament based on lateness rules when they showed up an hour after their scheduled time, again with the reason being that they are of a different race than the official. Or, any other stupid lawsuits to try to intimidate the official to not issue a code violation. Or lawsuits when a parent thinks their kid's draw was "politically motivated" or "racially influenced" when their kid has to play the #1 seed in an earlier round. And, yes, this crap happens. Ok. I'm done ranting for now.
woodrow1029 is offline   Reply With Quote