View Single Post
Old 11-20-2012, 10:45 PM   #3818
stringertom
Legend

Location: 106 miles from Chicago, it's dark, I'm wearing shades. Hit it!
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bulgakov View Post
I would have thought attending an American university in the late 1960s would have been very interesting. Someone once told me that Florida State University use to have more female than male students, which would have made things even more interesting.

Maybe the music and 1960s culture didn't make it to Florida. I think Jim Morrison was finally pardoned for the Miami charges a few years ago. I would like to go back in time and see some of the bands of that time.
I was still in high school when I first arrived but played "hooky" every chance I got over on FSU campus...post-Kent State protests are a prime example. One of Joan Baez' on-stage quips from a FSU appearance sums it up..."This place is surprisingly hip!". We got more liberated as my college days progressed...I worked stage crew for a lot of early 70's acts (Allman Bros., Ike & Tina Turner, Fleetwood Mac b4 Nicks/Buckingham, Doobie Bros. to name a few). And, yeah, there was tons of skirt to chase!

Morrison's mug shot just triggered a lot of regressive memories from that era...while he was "disturbing the peace" in T-town, only a few hundred miles down Highway 90 lies the Mississippi Delta where civil-rights activists were murdered and buried in the muck.