View Single Post
Old 11-22-2012, 01:53 PM   #87
jonnyjack
Rookie

I played six sessions for a total playtest time of just over 12 hours over a 15 day period. I have an indoor tournament this weekend and plan to use these strings but it won't be part of the review since it's after the deadline.

Tension used for playtest
47 lbs, strung on a Klippermate with no issues though I don't like weaving poly crosses.

Regular string set up
Mains: Signum Pro Poly Plasma 17 at 51 lbs
Crosses: Wilson Synthetic Gut Extreme 17 at 53 lbs

Racquet brand and model used for test
Yonex RDS 003

Power of test string
Moderate power to me, which is good. Was able to generate pace easily on sitters with full swings.

Feel
Crisp, wasn't as stiff as I thought it might be since I normally play hybrids. I'm tempted to try my usual SPPP in a full bed to see if it's similar but weaving poly crosses is a pain! Felt great hitting with spin since it felt like it was catching the ball on the strings. The response to the ball on the string was great.

Spin
I don't like textured strings since I already hit with a lot of spin and it messes up the feel for me so I definitely liked that this was a smooth string. Slice serves and forehand slices are my go to shots and they felt great. I like to put a lot of action on the ball and it put the amount of spin I expected. I also hit with extreme topspin since I have an uppercut swing and my hitting partners said the ball jumped up a lot using this string.

Comfort
I don't normally play full bed poly because I hear it's harsher on the elbow but no pain here. I played three days in a row at one point and felt no ill effects.

Durability
Tough to say since I usually cut my hybrid string setup out at 30 hours. Some notching since it's settled in now but it's poly so it should last me awhile. I'd expect it to last past 30 hours but who knows, currently at just over 12 hours.

Playability Duration (share thoughts on if/how the playability changed over time)
So far, so good. I always like poly after it settles in around the one hour mark and it hasn't felt any different since.

Control (predictable trajectory? performance on different strokes and swing speeds?)
Great control, I could hit my usual shots with confidence. I value placement over power since I play mainly doubles. Touch shots around the net were good with a low swing speed and high swing speeds at the baseline for dipping pass shots or top spin lobs also went where I wanted it to go. I vary my serve a lot with big flat serves, slower flat serves, and slice serves all around the box and I was able to control my serve very easily with the string.

Compare to the string you use most often
Honestly, it feels like I'm hitting with my usual Signum Pro Poly Plasma hybrid with Wilson Synthetic Gut Extreme. The fact that they're both orange, I wouldn't have known the difference if someone told me it was SPPP. I really liked this Super Smash playtest that I'm going to have to try Signum in a full bed. It's cheaper than SPPP so I may even switch to this when I'm done with the reel. I'd like to try it in a hybrid setup first though.

Tension recommendations (after hitting it, would you recommend a different tension? Why?)
No change, 47 lbs seems to be perfect for full bed poly in this racket. No issues with power, control, or comfort so I'm sticking with this tension.

Summary: List 1 or 2 primary likes and dislikes.
Likes: Control and comfort, exactly like my usual SPPP. Very little string movement too!
Dislikes: Honestly, nothing.

Thanks again Kirschbaum and TW! Definitely my favorite playtest so far.