View Single Post
Old 11-22-2012, 04:04 PM   #163
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternCK View Post
First off, my apologies if someone has already pointed out what I'm about to say. I've read the first 6-7 pages or so but then only glossed over the next few pages.

In my opinion, I think the reason that so many teaching professionals out there teach the two handed backhand is fairly simple. It has been touched on throughout this thread but as far as I know, no one has really stated it as being the main reason. Similar to the fact that "linear movement" has been replaced by "angular movement" when it comes to the modern game, I believe that the dominance of the 2 handed backhand in the modern era comes along from the same transition in the sport. As has been stated, the footwork necessary to execute a proper 1 handed backhand is more difficult than that of the two handed backhand. One can execute a 2 handed backhand with a variety of stances and still generate some type of aggressive shot whereas this is more difficult when executing say, a 1 hand backhand with an open stance. Tie this in with the POWER in the modern game and I believe that you have the reason that the 2 hander has become the predominant choice of both players who play on their own but more importantly teaching professionals who have fully embraced teaching the modern game.

So to sum it all up, I believe that the power in today's game is the main reason that two hand backhands are the most predominantly taught stroke by teaching professionals, regardless of the age of their students. Obviously individual attention should be paid to those who exhibit solid footwork and prefer the one handed backhand, but to me it is no surprise that the vast majority of teaching professionals teach the two handed backhand, regardless of the age of their students.
Interesting post and it got me thinking. I think the 2 hander positioning/footwork
is tougher, but maybe that is because I came to it from the 1 hander.
Also I think the one hander is more powerful and is just as much as part of the
modern strokes as the 2 hander. So while you made some interesting points,
I don't think they hold up...at least imo.