View Single Post
Old 11-23-2012, 07:15 AM   #508
Dan Lobb
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyOne View Post
Dan, It's just your flaw to underrate Perrier and maybe other events. Spending the best efforts on the world championship tour does NOT mean the players did not try in other events such as Perrier Trophy.

Nowadays the players concentrate to the GS tournaments but they still try to give their best in other events including the end-year masters.

I remember you did value Hoad's 1962 Facis series win as a plus in his career. Facis was similary to Perrier.

You should finally admit that Hoad had a terrible series of defeats in the Perrier series just as Rosewall played a terrible series against Gonzalez in the 1960 World Tour.

Taking away the Perrier series wins from Rosewall (16:1 on clay) is rather mean. I think you don't want to argue in a mean way...

But I maybe can do you a favour in telling you that one of Hoad's three wins in the Perrier series was a 6-0,6-1 victory against Segura...
Good point. By 1962, Hoad's conditioning and play had deteriorated to the point where his victories at Adelaide, the Facis, the 1964 New Zealand tour, while not the premiere events in the world, were the best he could accomplish, although he regained good form in the 14 to 0 tour against Laver in 1963.
The 1960 tour by Rosewall against Gonzales was for the world crown, more important by far than the Perrier. I doubt that Hoad was concerned about the Perrier in 1958, a year when he played in two world championship tours, and won almost $200,000, by far the most in pro tennis.
I have also excluded the 1957 Europe tour, in which Hoad won (perhaps on clay) 6 to 3 against Rosewall.
I have listed the major clay TOURNAMENT results, which were 7 to 2 for Hoad on clay against Rosewall.
Dan Lobb is offline   Reply With Quote