View Single Post
Old 11-25-2012, 10:10 AM   #51
merlinpinpin
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis_pro View Post
Not even top 30? You sure?

So you have Federer, Nadal, Sampras, Agassi, Becker, Edberg, Wilander, Lendl, Borg, McEnroe, Connors (11 players - anyone missing?) - the only players who managed to win at least 5 majors since the official ATP rankings. Before that you had Laver, Emerson, Rosewall, Gonzales, Newcombe, Hoad.

That's a total of 17 players before considering the 40's or 50's. Could you name all the all-time-great players you would rank higher than Djokovic?
Nah, not top 30 is obviously pushing it, but I'd say around top 20-top 25 at the moment.

Off the top of my head, you can also add the following to your list: Tilden, Budge, Cochet, Perry, maybe even Lacoste and Renshaw (William).

So, of course, eras are different and so on, but going by titles and records alone, *at the moment*, I would rank Djokovic among the tier four of greats. If being top 20/25 all-time qualifies as being an all-time great for you, then by all means, say he is. I don't agree, though, as the more all-time greats you have, the less the "all-time great" distinction is meaningful, but that's a matter of personal preference.

And, once again, he's (probably) far from being done, so judging his career at this point isn't really fair to him.

Last edited by merlinpinpin : 11-25-2012 at 10:13 AM.
merlinpinpin is offline   Reply With Quote