View Single Post
Old 11-25-2012, 11:12 AM   #3
OrangePower
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by winstonplum View Post
But I felt like I was just going through the motions after I didn't finish that game off at 40-30. Has that ever happened to anybody? You keep playing but you're not really there, mentally, anymore?
I've had many bad losses so hard to pick out the worst! But I know exactly what you're saying about being mentally not there after having a chance to close it out.

In my case, I was playing one of the top 4.5s in the area in a league match (I'm a mid-level 4.5). My opponent rarely loses at 4.5 level, has been to nationals, etc. Anyway, I was playing great that day. I took the first in a TB. In the second, we were on serve until he was serving at 4-4, and I broke
him to be serving for the match at 5-4. And I blew it. And then checked out mentally. He held for 6-5, broke me to take the set 7-5, and then ran away with the third (6-1).

The worst thing is that after the match everyone told me that it was a great result - I played him close, had chances, and that's more than anyone expected. But of course I know I could (should) have won the match.
OrangePower is offline   Reply With Quote