View Single Post
Old 11-25-2012, 05:19 PM   #116
sundaypunch
Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by gully View Post
Oh, you were referring to D1 teams. Well, then, I think after this series of posts you have finally said what you meant: that there are a handful fewer men's D1 tennis teams today than there were three decades ago. Eight fewer, to be exact.

But then again, to use data from the NCAA (instead of makingitup, nothavingany) is to, as you say, to be misled by propagandists. (Where is the data going to come from, anyway? Are you going to count teams? Am I? You can't seriously mean that to use any data from the NCAA in discussion of intercollegiate athletics is to be "misled.")

Like I had said on p. 1 of this thread, the causes for Maryland losing its men team are many--a perfect storm, almost, of overextending scant resources, diminishing funding sources, and lack of success.
This is exactly why the statement is faulty reasoning. The number of teams fluctuates yearly. To have a few % less now than in 1981 is insignificant. It's easy to spout off about how Title 9 has decimated men's tennis, but the facts don't agree.
sundaypunch is offline   Reply With Quote