View Single Post
Old 11-26-2012, 07:45 AM   #28
robbo1970
Professional

I don't think the Nike footwear really got much publicity until McEnroe hit the big-time in about 1980. Prior to that there was the Hallait/Stan Smith but I don't recall late 70's/early 80's tennis wear gaining fashion status until the early 80's in the UK with the football casuals movement.

The basic story stems back to the Liverpool fans going to away matches in the late 70's/early 80's and seeing all these unknown brands like Fila, Tacchini and Diadora. Up until then, you either wore trainers for 'sport' or Adidas Gazelle or Samba. Nike Wimbledon's and Adidas SS were really only popular from about 1981/82. By then though, there were also a number of Adidas shoes coming through, like the Grand Slam, Nastase and Forest Hills, not to mention they also had a shoe called Wimbledon. Unheard of today....could you imagine seeing Adidas Vapour's!!

The Bruin and Adidas Superstar, both bball shoes were only popular from the Back to the Future movie and Run DMC.

But I too don't ever recall seeing ad's for Nike, it was just a case of seeing Mac wearing them and getting the same.