View Single Post
Old 11-26-2012, 01:13 PM   #7
corbind
Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by klementine79 View Post
Yes, I have.

I've tried full ports, full grommet, grommet@12 and ports at 3&9 and ports at 12 and grommets @ 3&9.

Full grommets- Really shrinks the sweetspot. Racquet feels stiffer. Less spin production. More of a traditional feel. Not that oversize forgiveness that full ports offer.

Ports @ 3&9, grommets @ 12- Strange brew. Prefer full ports or full grommets to this set-up.

Ports@12 and grommets @ 3&9- The best hybrid set-up. Spin production is great, nothing like full ports but also has a more traditional (tighter) feel to the string bed.

Fire away any questions you might have.
(klementine79 -- message me via my email)

That's a great analysis! I wish I could replicate it but a full bed of gut costs about $60 strung so would be a very expensive test for me. When you tested and you say "12" did you also chance the unmentioned "6" to whatever configuration "12" was at? Or was "6" always just grommet?

I've been using the Becker London Tour 18x20 most of the year and it has a tiny sweet spot at 93" and all grommets. Would be interesting to try all grommet on my big 100" EXO3 18x20. I use both sticks most times I play tennis as I cannot decide which I like better.

Both are flexy. The EXO3 is MUCH more forgiving on off-center hits but does not have nearly the accuracy of the Becker London Tour (on balls hit in the sweet spot).

Quote:
Originally Posted by klementine79 View Post
Ports@12 and grommets @ 3&9- The best hybrid set-up. Spin production is great, nothing like full ports but also has a more traditional (tighter) feel to the string bed.
What do you mean by "tighter" just strings feel tighter or you have more accuracy in shots? I'm looking to get the most accurate shots since I live at the net

Last edited by corbind : 11-26-2012 at 01:20 PM.
corbind is offline   Reply With Quote