View Single Post
Old 11-26-2012, 05:57 PM   #266
travlerajm
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorkstadium View Post
My racket was measured by RDC machine and is naturally at my optimal mgr/i. I just wonder if a wristband has negative effects. I think wristbands slow down swingspeed, and I would have to make my racket more head heavy to achieve optimal mgr/i.

Travlerajm, do you agree that for unleaded racket, wristbands will have a negative impact on performance?

From what I've read, a more head-heavy racket is less comfortable, has less spin and is worse for volleys.
The MgR/I value determines how fast your racquet pivots about the wrist axis during the first part of your swing. If you wear a wrist band, it slows down the rate at which your arm rotates forward during the first part of the forward swing, such that the relative rate of the racquet becomes noticeably faster compared to that of the hand, which will noticeably affect your timing provided you are using a relaxed wrist and not applying a significant couple from the wrist. However, the difference in arm speed is unlikely to have a noticeable effect on the absolute swingspeed.

For the record, I am neither pro wristband nor against. However, I recommend that once you find a racquet and optimize its balance for your swing, it is essential to be cognizant that a wristband can affect your timing, and it's best to stick with one way or the other.

Last edited by travlerajm : 04-13-2013 at 04:22 PM.
travlerajm is offline   Reply With Quote