View Single Post
Old 11-26-2012, 07:12 PM   #445
Mustard
Talk Tennis Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by krosero View Post
Nadal may have adapted well to the old grass at Wimbledon, but he said last year, I think, that SV tennis the way it used to be played by Sampras and Ivanisevic was "not tennis." Of course, nobody liked the Sampras-Ivanisevic matches, but Nadal's comments make me wonder how enthusiastic he would have been about the prospect of SVing on every serve, for example. Whereas we have seen Federer to do that, and do it well (perhaps not coming in behind every 1st and 2nd serve, but certainly following in every 1st serve and many 2nd serves).

Federer is pretty much a baseliner nowadays but historically he has spent far more time at the net than Nadal.
I thought only the 1994 final was a bad match out of the Sampras vs. Ivanisevic Wimbledon matches. That final was a total dud and a big disappointment after the way Goran had beaten Boris in the semi finals. The others were entertaining grass-court spectacles, I thought. Goran was at the peak of his form in their 1992 semi final, firing around 36 aces and not even facing a break point in the entire match. Goran blew big chances to win their 1995 semi final and 1998 final as well. Sampras just had the cooler head under pressure.

Nadal is pretty good at adapting his game if he really wants to win something, at least when given time to change the necessary things in his game.

Last edited by Mustard : 11-26-2012 at 07:14 PM.
Mustard is offline   Reply With Quote