View Single Post
Old 11-26-2012, 08:10 PM   #2
Mitch Bridge
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tenis View Post
Hi everyone! My 7 year old son played a practice set with an almost nine year old who kept hitting ( or I should say blasting ) balls to his feet. Usually he is capable of hitting nice rallies but in this case he wasn't able to do anything at all! The balls were low and literally at his feet. The parent of that boy commented to me that you need to learn to hit on the rise for those balls.

I would greatly appreciate any tips that you might have to teach him this skill as well as any thoughts on how long it takes to master the skill at this age . Thanks in advance!
As levels advance, players need to play deeper. Just back up a foot or two behind the baseline and keep the ball out in front. This will make him handle the ball more easily and allow him time to improve on this skill.

A great drill for you to volley and have him hit groundstrokes and work on his positioning as well as his feel to hit on the rise. I prefer half court down the line with alleys being in play to shrink the coverage area.