View Single Post
Old 11-27-2012, 08:08 AM   #8
TimothyO
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
so they are pretty much equal then. thanks!
The SW is the same but the results are different.

2g at 12 provides the same SW at a lower cost in static weight. SW is crucial but static weight also matters.

4g at 3/9 provides the same SW and greater stability but at the cost of higher static weight.

Given two frames with the same SW but different static weights you'll still generally find the lighter frame easier to maneuver. Even then how the mass is distributed can make one frame feel stable and smooth and the other unwieldy or clumsy regardless of weight and SW.

I've found the best way to customize is to take your frame to the court with some lead tape and an exacto knife and hit with a patient friend. Try different configurations in a systematic manner: 12, 10/2, 9/3. Shift placement and amount based on feel. With a little trial and error you'll find something that works for all strokes: serve, ground strokes, and volleys. Focus on placement in the head and worry about adding some lead (if any) under the handle in a later session.

Once you have something that feels right you can use that frame as a reference point to match your other frames.

The worst thing you can do is start purely from the math and/or hit only against a wall to test the setup (I know because I've made that mistake!)

I now know a broad sweet spot for myself: I like something around 11.8 to 12.2 ounces, SW around 330+, and with as much stability (high twistweight) as possible. Based on past experience I'll mod a new frame to something along those lines after first hitting with it in stock form. Final static weight, SW, TW, and balance will be driven by the unique character of the frame and how it feels. I won't know the final numbers until AFTER hitting with the modded frame a few times under different conditions (eg vs heavy hitters and those who provide no pace so I must generate my own entirely) and then the numbers are used only as a reference to match frames.

I know I'm done modding a frame when it disappears from my mind while hitting and there's just the shot I want to make and the ball. If the frame distracts me and feels too heavy, clumsy, unstable, or wimpy then it's still not right.