View Single Post
Old 11-27-2012, 03:41 PM   #222
Angle Queen
Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
And if the other guy does hold, fine...as long as we held and we broke the opposing female, then we were fine.
This is (or should be) the mantra for successful mixed play, especially at the higher levels.

Quote:
My partner and I worked well together...both singles players, haha! He is super tall (ask AQ, she saw us play this year) and my job was to be consistent and keep the ball in play until he could put it away.
Here to confirm. Topaz was Ms. Consistency and said-partner was The Closer, a net monster and monster server. On a side note, of the pair they played the time I watched them, the opposing female was bumped....up....to 4.5 (deservedly, in my opinion...not so much based on that day's play but her record in our area throughout the season).

But seriously, it's hard to beat a 4.5M/3.5W at 8.0 Mixed. Invariably, they're both at the top of their class. It's part of the reason I am against "combo" play for mixed. The potential disparity is even more pronounced in true Combo (6.5, 7.5, 8.5) but I don't like it even in "8.0". I mean, why then, don't we have 8.0 Womens? We don't. It's 4.0W and 4.0M...where everyone on the court is 4.0 (or less). Fewer mismatches, generally better, more even "play" -- and isn't that what NTRP is supposed to be designed for?

/another rant...over