View Single Post
Old 11-27-2012, 09:26 PM   #15
Goosehead
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustard View Post
Slobodan Zivojinovic. He beat McEnroe in the 1985 Australian Open quarter finals by the score of 2-6, 6-3, 1-6, 6-4, 6-0. And yes, watching some old Australian Open matches on the Kooyong grass-courts, I also notice the similarities in style to today's Wimbledon matches.

Tanner, Vilas and Wilander seemed to like the Kooyong grass. Vilas and Wilander were nowhere near as good on the Wimbledon grass as they were in Melbourne, even if Vilas was facing players like John Marks and John Sadri in his finals there instead of Borg, Connors and McEnroe.
good old roscoe tanner..surprised alot of folk by taking borg to 5 at wimbledon..in fact he had a decent chance to win..imagine the same match at kooyong one way traffic, easy borg win..

yes mr s zivojinovic..mcenroe shouldnt have lost that one..but he wouldve been likely defeated by wilander again in sf much like 83 and like in french 85 too..i always thought 83 and 84 were macs best chances at kooyong rather than 83 and 85..but pulling out of aust 84 (i'm sure he was initially going to play; meant he blew his big chance) and with the wheels starting to come off in 85 meant no dice for supermac.
Goosehead is offline   Reply With Quote