View Single Post
Old 11-29-2012, 05:44 AM   #51
TimothyO
Hall Of Fame

In rec league play you can't focus on WL. In any given division at low-mid level (3.0-3.5 or so) you encounter so much skill diversity you shouldn't get cocky over easy wins nor depressed over big losses. But that's nit the same thing as fighting hard to win and trying hard to improve.

I focus on skill improvement relative to those I can beat at will, those who challenge me, and those against whom I have no hope. There are players who proved a challenge two years ago that I can beat at will now. Others I have no hope of playing let alone beating but still enjoy watching for clues on how to play better. For me a loss to a better player should provide an opportunity to learn. A win over a weaker player is a chance to work on tougher shots.

And I focus on skill improvement independent of competition. I get as much pleasure practicing and improving my serve as I do winning a match. I used to fear serving and now I truly relish it.

We're rec players. We don't have sponsors or fans and don't play for prize money. Nobody will remember our records or care about them. I doubt many of us can name our local city champion for a given level in a given rec league for a given season (in ATL for singles we have Peach Tennis, T2, Ultimate, USTA, and League at the very least...I can't name one city champ at ANY level). I've never read an article in a local paper about rec league results. The only I see that is on the rec league website!

All that being said whether I win or lose I enjoy a post match analysis to figure out why. It's like a puzzle and figuring out those answers provides clues to how to play the next match.

Last edited by TimothyO : 11-29-2012 at 05:49 AM.
TimothyO is offline   Reply With Quote