View Single Post
Old 11-29-2012, 12:10 PM   #29
SystemicAnomaly
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by martini1 View Post
SA, are you talking about having both players back (other than ROS)? Cuz, I am talking about having both players up 1/2 of the time or more, or one up one back.

If both players are up - balls that goes wide cannot be easily called by the partner further away. First you got the other partner in the way, second, it goes parallel to the line, which is harder to call. If you get a deep lob and that means only one guy is chasing it, turning 180 facing the fence, the net should be moving to cover, should not be 180 ball watching. Therefore the guy chasing the ball should have the best view of the bounce.

If playing one up one back - I can see the situation you described, but only when the baseline guy is standing very close to the baseline hitting a ball on the rise. perhaps? I play singles and have no problem calling a baseline ball out unless it is super fast going right at my feet, AND I am standing a couple inches from the baseline. I mean I have to stand my ground and not move back at all to let happen. IF the ball is bouncing on the far side, over the net guy wide, or long, the net guy should switch to the other side while the baseline guy goes after that ball. The net guy is going away from the ball, it would be difficult to call the baseline ball out.

Only a person who is in line with the baseline like a line judge can call it better. But the net person is never in line with the baseline at any given time. So this only works on calling a serve or when both guys are back. I am no expert doubles player but I never play both back. My coach pushes us to play both up. And when we play one up one back the net guy is too busy cover the net and doesn't look back long enough to make over rule calls.
No, I was not specifically referring to the case where both players are back.

I agree that a line judge who is in line with the baseline usually has the best perspective on a ball encroaching that line. Quite often, however, we have seen where a chair umpire, who clearly is not in line with the baseline, will overrule a call made by a baseline judge.

As I mentioned previously, the baseline judge has several advantages over a player who is in very close proximity to ball that bounces near the baseline. The line judge is further from bounce location so the ball is not traveling across their field of vision as rapidly. The line judge is not moving their head & eyes during the bounce or just prior to it. The gaze of the line judge is on the line and not on the ball.

A partner in the forecourt (closer to the net) often also has these 3 advantages over a player that is very close to the bounce location. Of course, their vantage point is not as good the vantage point of the line judge. However, for the 3 reasons stated, they are often is a better position to make the line call than the player who is very close to the ball.

Over the 40 years that I have been playing the sport I have seen this situation hundreds, if not thousands, of times. The player who is very close to the ball will often be unable to make an accurate call even for balls that are 4 to 6 inches (10 to 15 cm) past or short of the line if they are focused on the ball (or if their gaze is fixated on their contact point rather than on the baseline). Quite often, the other 3 players on the court can clearly see if such a ball is in or out even tho' the closest player cannot. However, for bounces that are much closer to the line (say less than a few cm), it is much more difficult for any of the players to make the determination.

NOTE: If the net player is turning their head or moving their eyes as the ground contact is happening, their ability to make an accurate call is extremely poor. I have also seen this situation happen numerous times in both tennis and badminton.
SystemicAnomaly is offline   Reply With Quote