View Single Post
Old 11-29-2012, 07:09 PM   #39
Bobby Jr
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizo View Post
One of the reasons why Tennis Australia abandoned the rubberised Rebound Ace was the ridiculously high number of injuries that the surface caused, with many players rolling their ankles on it year after year. Players were complaining that their feet were still hurting for numerous days after the tournament finished.
Far and away the biggest factor in the chance of courts was because rebound ace is the worst surface ever invented in terms of maintenance issues. They had to re-lay the courts pretty much annually because of the insane issues they had. My club (in Melb at the time) had those courts and they were most expensive mistake they ever made. Anything which was dropped on the court, or someone wearing hard-soled dress shoes or someone throwing a racquet etc would damage the surface. Air and moisture would get in and it was basically unrepairable. You couldn't fix a small patch of the court like you can grass/clay with and level of playing consistency so only Flinders Park as it was known then could afford to re-lay the courts each year. All the clubs which got them badly regretted ever getting them put down.

They heated up like crazy under the Aussie sun - I grant you that - but as for a notable increase in injuries being directly related to the surface, I call rubbish. I played on rebound ace courts for years without issue - they were less injury-causing than harder hard courts imo. I think the real reason the Aussie Open suffered from player complaints was the compounded issues of it often being extremely hot, the harsh sun conditions (amongst the lowest ozone level in the world in Australia - which wreaks havok for even tanned people) and the fact that it was one of the first tournaments of the year - many players were not fully match-fit yet and more injury prone. In fact non-acute injuries in the later rounds at the Aussie Open are still almost an annual happening. From memory moreso than at any of the other majors.

Quote:
Clay is much softer and easier on the joints than hard courts. That is why many older players in the US prefer to play on har-tru than hard courts, even if it doesn't suit their game as much.
For sure... but match length and being injury prone are bigger factors in injury incidences than the surface.

Quote:
And most of the hard courts used nowadays are slow, and a typical slow hard court match with long, gruelling rallies is going to give the body a far bigger pounding than a typical clay court match.
So the simpler, cheaper and more practical solution would be to speed up the hard court tournaments that are already out there, not replace them with tournaments which would ensure even more running about - even if clay is softer overall.

Speeding the hard courts would have the additional bonus over the "more clay courts" suggestion of making the tennis which was played and the options for having success more varied - and entertaining.

Last edited by Bobby Jr : 11-29-2012 at 07:13 PM.
Bobby Jr is offline   Reply With Quote