View Single Post
Old 11-30-2012, 05:36 AM   #14
goober
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTRPolice View Post
Except that 5.0+ does not apply because it for all intents and purposes does not exist. And 2.5 (and now) 3.0 are almost non-existent outside of doubles leagues.

It's far more common to see a 50 or 60 year old think they're just as good as a 20 year old. This may be true at flight level play, but once you get to the playoffs and beyond these 50-somethings start making less starting lineups and will almost never touch singles.

I feel the age gap between 20's and 30's. I can only imagine what kinda rose tinted goggled someone would need to honestly believe that there isnt any difference in ability between a 20 year old former high school champ at 3.5 nationals and an overweight, balding, knee braced, 50-something.

Yes, some old people can be competitive, the same way some women can play equal to men in terms of NTRP rating.

That just isnt the norm.

With that said, I do enjoy playing against older players from time to time. These players are usually challenging me. It's these types of players that think they're good enough to play adult league at all levels. It's these types of players that I want to play.
At the 3.5 level there are ton of guys in their 40-50s that could beat 20-30 year olds. At that level skill is more important than physical play. Nationals are really not a measure of 3.5 level play. Everybody there are basically 4.0s to even weak 4.5. In singles, athletic ability and physcial prowess doesn't become a factor till upper level 4.0 and 4.5. But even then a lot 20-30 year olds will lose to older guys that are dropping down from 5.0.

In doubles at the 3.5-4.0 levels, the older players are usually better than young players. Every person we have taken in the 19-29 crowd on our team has been a liability in doubles.
goober is offline   Reply With Quote