View Single Post
Old 11-30-2012, 08:17 AM   #16
Cindysphinx
G.O.A.T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goober View Post
At the 3.5 level there are ton of guys in their 40-50s that could beat 20-30 year olds. At that level skill is more important than physical play. Nationals are really not a measure of 3.5 level play. Everybody there are basically 4.0s to even weak 4.5. In singles, athletic ability and physcial prowess doesn't become a factor till upper level 4.0 and 4.5. But even then a lot 20-30 year olds will lose to older guys that are dropping down from 5.0.

In doubles at the 3.5-4.0 levels, the older players are usually better than young players. Every person we have taken in the 19-29 crowd on our team has been a liability in doubles.
+1.

As a captain, I can tell you that age has nothing whatever to do with who is stronger at singles or doubles. It is not something I consider when I am selecting players to invite or deciding who plays a must-win match. How good you are is solely a function of how good you are.

I will let you in on a little secret: We older players very much enjoy frustrating younger people. Especially the arrogant ones!