View Single Post
Old 11-30-2012, 06:10 PM   #50
BobbyOne
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Lobb View Post
I think Kramer's record looks better than it is.
This is where simply listing wins and losses needs to be expanded to include looking at the quality of opposition.
For example, I notice that you somehow chose to OMIT the names of the players Kramer beat at Wimbledon. Was this because it was an unimpressive list? His major opponents were Tom Brown (yes, the one and only Tom Brown), and Frankie Parker late in his career.
Also, what was Kramer's record at Roland Garros? How did he manage NOT to play there? That was strange. Even as a pro, he avoided the place in 1957.
His tour wins against Gonzales and Sedgman were puffed by injuries suffered by his younger opponents, and while he claimed that he was injured too, his "injury" was just arthritis. Why did he skip so many major tournaments?
The long road tours were played in high school gyms on a cruddy portable carpet, and the best-of-three sets format favoured the veteran player.
He did not beat PRIME Budge, Gonzales, a healthy Sedgman, but instead Bobby Riggs and Segura, players not in his class at the time.
As Gonzales said, "Kramer was not a natural athlete. He wasn't too fast or too quick, but he had the knack of winning". Part of that knack was knowing when to fight and when to make a strategic withdrawal.
Dan, why do you belittle Kramer as you use to belittle Rosewall?

Kramer was a fine claycourter as you can see in his five set loss to Segura in the 1950 US Pro. Losing a tough match on clay against a peak Segura is not too bad, I think.

Kramer did enter the 1958 French Pro where he beat Worthington and won 11 games from Rosewall who won the tournament. Your darling Hoad won 12 games from Rosewall...
BobbyOne is offline   Reply With Quote