View Single Post
Old 11-30-2012, 05:56 PM   #21
sundaypunch
Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearsome Forehand View Post
I think there is something wrong with knowingly taking advantage of someone's ignorance. The seller would probably not be too happy if she knew that someone knowingly screwed her out of $300 to $400.

It is one thing to find a gem at Goodwill and sell it downstream for a profit. Fine. It is another to consciously go through the process of screwing someone, female or otherwise, out of money. Whoever bought these rackets contacted the seller and talked her out of letting the auction finish and offered her a rather low price, at best 25% of what the rackets are worth and they knew they were doing it. All the while pretending to be doing her a favor no doubt. Sort of slimy IMHO. I assume she could use the money or she would not be selling miscellaneous items on the auction site. This is not much different than lifting someone''s wallet IMHO. Kind of like the scumbag brothers who bought a 5 million dollar lottery ticket from one of their convenience store customers for 5,000 "to save him the hassle of taxes." They lied to him about the ticket's worth and they are going to jail as a result. Not so different than what happened here except in terms of scale.

The seller, on the other hand, is an idiot and idiots will be taken advantage of frequently. You can't fix stupid. Ultimately, it is her fault for not knowing the value of what she was selling.
That is one perspective. Here is another-

The seller has been on e-bay for 8 1/2 years. With a feedback score of 698 they have likely been involved in 1000+ transactions. It's not their first rodeo as they say. They also may have picked up the racquets for $5 at their local Goodwill.

I might agree with you had this been a nice old lady selling them at her church yardsale. There is no such thing as taking advantage of someone who makes a living on e-bay.
sundaypunch is offline   Reply With Quote