View Single Post
Old 11-30-2012, 06:12 PM   #60
Power Player
G.O.A.T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscourt View Post
Good point. But for advanced players the difficulties of some rackets disappear by comparison with less good players. So you may find an APD much easier than a Tour 90 but for them the differences are less significant. Their comparison is based on different criteria to yours. But the real point here is that while lots of people think that the APD is a tweener, the sheer number of average to good players on these boards who say that it is simply "too powerful" and that they hit the ball out too much tells the story. That is not a problem for Nadal. The APD is a racket that works better for very good players than for average or good players.
I would agree with this, but plenty of higher level players may still tell you the frame is too powerful because it doesn't suit their game. I know a few teaching pros currently entering and winning some fairly big open tournies who asked me why I was demoing the new one, and they said it was too powerful for how they liked to hit.

Guess the point is that there are grey areas. If you hit with a lot of spin and a western grip, the APD is a great option. If you want to go more SW and also drive through the ball a little more, you may find the stick to have too much power for how you like to hit. I could definitely adjust and play with an APD if it was not so stiff on my arm, but the way I like to hit the ball is better suited for more of a control frame.

I bolded the last statement because that applies to a ton of racquets in the player and tweener category.

In my review I said I think this stick is best for a junior who hits with a ton spin and prefers a defensive style of play. Still feel like that is accurate. What makes the racquet so cool is that anyone can use it, but definitely it takes someone with a lot of energy, endurance and developed footwork to really tap into the frame.