View Single Post
Old 11-30-2012, 09:43 PM   #20
TomT
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Player View Post
The more I have drilled my footwork, the more prep time I have and the better my strokes have gotten. I played a flatter hitting guy last night where I was able to hit deep shots CC and DTL safely. They were bouncing about a foot or so in the baseline on average and I was getting confident enough to place the ball closer to the lines. I have played and hit with this guy many times, and this was the most lopsided play in my favor to date.

It felt like I finally had evolved from the high trajectory- pin them back with topspin - force short balls style that I had played before. I find that better players see that style so much that it does not phase them. It is more like the Rafa defensive style that can wear you down, especially if your opponent knows how to take them early. I have gone more to the Djoker style of attacking with lower trajectory and more precise placement. Obviously none of us are on that level of play, but at least this provides a good visual.

This was one guy, but the more I have adapted this style, the better I have been playing. I play guys from 4.0 to 5.0 since my clubs set me up with different players.

What works for you?
Post some vids. I would love to see your game, and feel sure that I could learn something.

As for your question, well, check out my sig. I actually do play 4.0 and above players from time to time. The warmup usually goes quite well. After that it's pretty much downhill for me.

Recently played a solid 4.0 guy. Actually won a couple of games, and I think I made him work a bit in a few other games. How did I win the games I won? Hard first serves went in, was hitting some really hard, slightly undercut driving approach shots that were clearing the net by inches, landing deep and skidding real low, and didn't screw up the volleys. But of course I can't do that consistently on most points.

Should have made some vids of that match, but didn't anticipate playing as well as I did. As it turned out my level of play was elevated by my opponent's level of play. In the end we were both pleased with the result. Me, because I thought I played pretty well, and him because he won pretty decisively. The old stuff seems to be steadily, but slowly, coming back.

Last edited by TomT : 11-30-2012 at 09:51 PM.
TomT is offline   Reply With Quote