View Single Post
Old 12-01-2012, 08:17 AM   #7419
PureAlph4
Semi-Pro

So 2-0 to Swansea at the Emirates. No complaints whatsoever about the score; they deserved it. They were in 1-on-1 three times before scoring (twice brilliantly saved by Szczesny, and once by a desperate lunge from Vermaelen), and looked the more dangerous team in attacking areas. We had more possession in the second half, but as ever with no cutting edge and no firepower. Why Wenger persists with starting the 3rd rate Gervinho up top alone is completely beyond me.

Arsenal now down to 10th after 15 games, having failed to beat Sunderland (H), Stoke, Norwich (H), Fulham (H), Villa, Everton and Swansea (H). We're in real, real trouble. I think it would be fair to say the only two victories this season that were comprehensive, deserved and not due to exceptional circumstances were those in early September against Liverpool and Southampton. The only bright spot is that 3rd place is only 5 points away, solely thanks to the lack of dominant teams at the top this year.

As I've said before, I will back Wenger for the rest of the season, but it has reached the point where no-one can deny that there's a valid argument for him going. He's purported to have 40m+ to spend in January (I assume this figure includes transfer fees and wages), so the possibility of bringing in a couple of 12m players (i.e usual price bracket, a la Giroud, Podolski, Gervinho), but I just don't know if we can bring in the real top quality that we need to make us competitive again for that money in the inflated January window. We have a good spine to the squad, but with constantly selling our world class players, and being unable to afford real top quality talent, we are marginally less competitive every single season.

At the moment Arsenal is an empire in managed decline.
PureAlph4 is offline   Reply With Quote