View Single Post
Old 12-01-2012, 09:10 AM   #7
travlerajm
Hall Of Fame

Been using Kevlar for more than 20 years.
First ten 10 yrs with Problend. Then 5 years with Crossfire II, including some experimenting with Fusion 19, and 17 and 18g versions of crossfire.

About 5 yrs ago, I switched to poly crosses. This gives a significant jump in spin relative to syn gut crosses, and this has been my favorite string combo class since then.

I've tried full poly, poly/syn, syn/poly, gut/poly, poly/gut on many occasions, but nothing comes even close to the type of control, bite, and spin you can get with kevlar/poly IMO. But to qualify this, to get the most benefit and enjoyment out of a kevlar/poly setup, you need to play with a high swingweight frame. The extra mass in the hoop takes all the sting out of the impact, so you can take advantage of the big jump in control that comes from having a stiff stringbed.

Also, I've found that kevlar/poly performs best with denser stringbeds. Open stringbed frames require higher tensions to get good control, which means that the poly stretches out too fast, leading to a stringbed that starts out too-low powered and doesn't last very long with good control. If your frame is extremely open-patterned, I recommend sticking with kevlar/syn gut hybrid for best results.

On to my specific poly crosses:
Prince tournament poly 16: the most spin-friendly option due to its hard glassy surface, high dent resistance, and lubricity. But its tension maintenance sucks. I love it in the first week, but after that it needs to be cut out.

SPPP: Despite its reputation for good tension maintenance, I found that a kevlar/SPPP stringbed just got progressively softer over time, until it was too mushy for my liking.

Silverstring 1.20: This is my favorite so far. It's not that slippery a surface, so it's not the most spin-friendly. But still much more spin-friendly compared to syn gut crosses. It has the best tension maintenance of any poly I've tried so far, so the string bed plays quite consistently for several weeks. I currently use Kevlar 18g ashaway mains (which shred about the same time the poly SS loses too much tension). By the way, 18g kevlar mains will shred in a less than a week with syn gut crosses, but they last 3x as long with poly crosses since the friction is lower.

If you are looking for a stringbed to play with for an entire summer without cutting it out, then you might need to go with a syn gut cross.

Last edited by travlerajm : 12-01-2012 at 09:13 AM.
travlerajm is offline   Reply With Quote