View Single Post
Old 12-01-2012, 10:25 AM   #655
kiki
G.O.A.T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyOne View Post
kiki, As far as I know Rosewall never accused his father for the shift from left to right. But you are right that Muscles mentioned the serve weakness. In fact I agree that Rosewall would have been much stronger with a stronger service.

The shift from left to right was usual in those days, regarding writing and so on, alas!

Regarding Wimbledon I hope you meant that Rosewall would have won one or two out of the four finals he played at Wimbledon. In fact it's common sense among experts that Muscles would have won several Wimbledon titles, regardless if with a strong or "weak" service, if he played at Wimbledon in his peak years, i.e. 1961 to 1964.
I didnīt mean to blame his father as an accusation but he regreted that he had been somewhat forced to turn right handed which, as you said, was usual in those years.

Nobody can prove that he would have won Wimbledon with a better serve although I think he could have been able to surprise John Newcombe or Jaro Drobny in the two finals he lost over 5 sets.

However, I donīt think he could have beaten 1956 Hoad or 1974 Connors, even with a better serve.Of course, in the early 60īs, he would have been the favourite, along Pancho Gonzales and from 1963 till 1967, he could ahve challenged Rod Laver.