View Single Post
Old 12-01-2012, 10:51 AM   #41
fuzz nation
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by treblings View Post
thanks for answering. sometimes a ball is clearly out and yet your opponent/s will still question your call and ask to see a mark.
in cases like that, it sometimes happens that you can´t show the mark because you´ve taken your eyes off it, not expecting any controversy
This caught my attention because of what's potentially going on in a match when opponents keep questioning line calls. This past fall, I had to remember to talk with the high school team I help coach and remind them to keep their heads in case this constant second-guessing happens in a match. Some opponents will want occasional confirmation, but others will overdo it to make us more tentative about calling close balls "out". Especially with the kids, that can be a very effective (though unsporting) head game.

The issue with identifying a mark on the court is also a bit of an afterthought in an unofficiated match. Even when playing on clay courts where the ball marks are typically quite visible, players still need to make a prompt "out" call when the ball bounces, just like with any other surface. Otherwise opponents would be constantly hung up on confirming ball marks instead of abiding by their opponent's calls and maintaining a steady pace of play.

Opponents can't come over to your side of the net to examine the marks from their own shots and you're not obligated to constantly identify them. Everyone's responsibility is simply to make prompt and accurate calls. If you spot a mark that indicates that you made a bad call (called an "in" ball "out"), just apologize, give the point to your opponent(s), and carry on.
fuzz nation is offline   Reply With Quote