View Single Post
Old 12-01-2012, 02:06 PM   #13
coachrick
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by dak95_00 View Post
YUCK! YUCK! YUCK! I took it out for a hit today and .....'read previously'!

I've never played natural gut in my many, many years of playing tennis. Here was my experience and please let me know if this was just a bad stringing job or because the string was ancient, etc.

First, I hadn't hit for nearly 2 months and went out to play. I wasn't playing great but any mishit shot was very weak. If I didn't hit the sweetspot, it wasn't going anywhere. I wasn't too worried but I switched to another Prince Graphite that I'd strung the same day strung at the same tension by the same person (me) on the same machine. Look! I strung them back-to-back. The other was strung with Topspin Concept Pure - a poly string. It immediately had more pop to my shots and especially on non-sweetspot shots. I went from losing 5-1 to go on to win 7-5. The result isn't and wasn't the concern.

My real question is.... Is natural gut for people that hit the sweetspot only? Is my experience an anomaly? I'm just curious to know if I should give natural gut another go and to try something better or stick w/ what has become my favorite string....has nothing to do with today's experience but the fact that I just play that string nicely and it seems to last a very long time for me.

Thanks for reading and sharing your experience and advice.
Oops! Sometime zee ball go in...sometime zee ball go out!

Actually, Durachrome wasn't the liveliest gut in the world, but it still should feel pretty good. Really, no matter the tension you used, it should be pretty lively and darned near crisp @ 55 or above(unless you were hitting on wet clay or in super humid conditions). It may be that it just isn't the right string for you. Gut isn't for everybody, but nat gut in a PG 90 should feel pretty nice. It's possible that the tie-off in the center created a pocket that just feels better than the rest of the string bed; but even off-center hits shouldn't be all that bad(unless you strung it over 65 or so).

It's also possible the string absorbed moisture over the decades and is just dead compared to a fresh set. That would surprise me since a really dead set of gut has a noticeably 'rope-y' feel to it when stringing.'

Sorry 'bout that.
coachrick is offline   Reply With Quote