View Single Post
Old 12-01-2012, 07:34 PM   #86
BauerAlmeida
Semi-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by forzamilan90 View Post
Argentina are consistently among the strongest teams in the world and have been for a while. 2002 they were easily one of the pre tournament favorites for the World cup, but lost in group stages (2002 world cup overall the favorites failed to deliver, though Italy and Spain got absolutely f****d by the refs against hosts South Korea, and Brazil sort of found their groove). 2006 they lost to the host Germany in a penalty shootout (Germany's unbeatable under this scenario, I don't think they've ever lost a penalty shootout). They have consistently had great teams, but failed to capitalize in the last decade (sort of like pre 2008 Spain with the exception of their Euro win in the 60s). Honestly I can't remember a weak Argentina team relatively speaking ever since I started watching football. They've always had a stacked squad.
From 2008 to 2011 Argentina was a disaster. The team couldn't keep the ball for more than 40 seconds and maybe wouldn't create a goal opportunity in a whole match having despite having world class players in almost every position. We could barely make it to the WC in the last qualyfing match with a goal in the last minute against Peru (probably the weakest team in South America) playing at home. Against Germany we were destroyed.

In 2006 there was a good team, but Messi was incredibly left out of the team against Germany when, as you said, Germany defeated us in the penalty shoot-out. Now the team is becoming stronger again, and Messi is being the best player by far. The next world cup could be a key tournament for him to establish himself as the best ever.