View Single Post
Old 12-02-2012, 05:29 AM   #15
gavna
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachrick View Post
Oops! Sometime zee ball go in...sometime zee ball go out!

Actually, Durachrome wasn't the liveliest gut in the world, but it still should feel pretty good. Really, no matter the tension you used, it should be pretty lively and darned near crisp @ 55 or above(unless you were hitting on wet clay or in super humid conditions). It may be that it just isn't the right string for you. Gut isn't for everybody, but nat gut in a PG 90 should feel pretty nice. It's possible that the tie-off in the center created a pocket that just feels better than the rest of the string bed; but even off-center hits shouldn't be all that bad(unless you strung it over 65 or so).

It's also possible the string absorbed moisture over the decades and is just dead compared to a fresh set. That would surprise me since a really dead set of gut has a noticeably 'rope-y' feel to it when stringing.'

Sorry 'bout that.
Yeah in truth you have 35 yr old gut - those packages are not airtight and moisture does seep into the package as well. Add to that 15L gauge I'm not surprised at all it's dead......stuff must play like wet pasta........on the old stuff I have (Victor Imperial and wonderful textured VS) I just hand string it (no tension) in my sticks from the 70s collection and put'em up on the wall to look at.
gavna is offline   Reply With Quote