View Single Post
Old 12-02-2012, 11:08 AM   #161
NadalDramaQueen
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by pc1 View Post
I wouldn't want to tell what Nastase would want to do. lol.

Trivia-Did you know that Fred Perry, number one player in the 1930's was also the World Table Tennis aka Ping Pong champion?

In all seriousness, it would be interesting to see how Federer would have adjusted to a wood racquet. His whole tennis swing would have to change and his general style of play. He couldn't hit the heavy topspin angles he hits now and he probably would mishit far more with a small wood racquet unless he flattens out his swing. I think he would adjust but it would be fascinating to see how his style would have changed.
It was a weak table tennis era. I remember reading about that somewhere. He was the only player to win major tournaments in both tennis and table tennis.

I actually think Fed would have more issues with his backhand than forehand. I think he would be able to get by with a forehand stroke that wasn't too different from the one he has now with a bit more drive through the strike zone. It would obviously be a bit less lethal from the baseline.

From my own experience, the most difficult thing I find about hitting modern strokes with wood is getting heavy top spin with my one handed backhand. I can adjust pretty quickly off the forehand side (and still hit with decent spin), but I have to make a much bigger adjustment off the backhand side.

I just don't find that you have to start hitting drives with a continental grip when you hit with wood.

Last edited by NadalDramaQueen : 12-02-2012 at 11:17 AM.
NadalDramaQueen is offline   Reply With Quote