View Single Post
Old 12-03-2012, 09:22 AM   #29
beernutz
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmke View Post
If the USTA is still dropping double-bagel matches, that, IMHO, is a big flaw in the system. I think the reasoning for dropping them is they don't tell you specifically how much better player A is than player B, only that player A is "at least" X better. And using X as the value could either hurt the winning player or help the losing player when it shouldn't.

However, if the expected result between the players was closer than 6-0,6-0, the above bad situation won't occur and it seems more correct to at least adjust the players apart (winning player rating go up, losing player rating go down) based on the result rather than completely ignoring it.
I agree. The rating system has to be able to account for 6-0, 6-1 and 6-1, 6-1 wins so rather than just ignoring 6-0, 6-0 wins just treat them as a 6-0, 6-1 win plus the difference between a 6-0, 6-1 and a 6-1, 6-1 win. That may not be exactly right in all cases but neither is any other part of this system. The argument that the USTA uses that not all 6-0, 6-0 wins are created equal is imo a stupid reason for ignoring them entirely (if that is in fact what is really happening).