View Single Post
Old 12-03-2012, 10:13 AM   #135
merlinpinpin
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisstti View Post
Not the same. I have actually no problem accepting Fed was having physical problems when he lost to Berdych in 2011, even though he wasn't really on his prime anymore while Nadal was in the matches we're talking about) and he lost in the quarters, not in the first week, and against a top 10 player.
He himself had said he was fine by the time of RG and Wimbledon in 2008 though. Plus, which two majors would he have gifted Nadal?. Let's not forget Nadal had showed he could very well beat him at Wimbeldon the year before...
Wimbledon 2008 and AO 2009. The Wimbledon loss was clearly due from the beatdown he took at RG three weeks before (he was totally unable to play in the first two sets), and he lost because he was afraid of Nadal. Even more so maybe in Melbourne, where he clearly had the upper hand for the first four sets but was unable to wrap it up.

For the record, I fully share Mustard's view, though--even though I think Federer would very probably have won both these tournaments had he let Monfils through in the RG 2008 semi (for he knew he was going to get destroyed in the final this year), as long as you come on court, you're fit to play and you accept the result as it is, no excuse.
merlinpinpin is offline   Reply With Quote