View Single Post
Old 12-04-2012, 04:32 AM   #35
Centerforward71
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLBwell View Post
Since gut doesn't lose as much tension as other strings, and maintains a lot of resiliency over time if stored correctly, I don't see any reason a flat hitter shouldn't get months of time out of a gut string job, even if the player plays fairly often and hits hard. I've got 4 months on my gut/poly string jobs and the gut is barely frayed and playing great. I keep putting in stringsavers around the edges of the stringbed to make up for the poly tension loss. I play several times a week and hit harder and probably flatter than almost anyone on this board.
If you look at the classic racket forum, you will find instances where someone finds an old racket strung with gut that hadn't been played with for years and it hits just fine. In other cases, the strings don't respond well - it depends on how it is stored.

The gut is your friend. Take care of it.
If you qualify your statements with the above then the input can be taken correctly otherwise it's totally misleading. Even a flat hitter imparts spin and more than you may think. Gut well maintained can be good for extended periods but slow down on the year over year. If you are ok with that then performance, meaning match level importance, is not your priority and your level and goal of play should also be taken into consideration. If I was the flattest hitter in the world and I am playing tournament or even league tennis where performance is important and playing at a certain level and above then I am not using a string for those time frames. I am not talking about 3.0 mixed doubles league either !!