View Single Post
Old 12-04-2012, 06:44 AM   #5
tennis5
Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rina View Post
I think it has to start with the parents, not USTA or anybody else. But, of course, we can't teach parents to act differently and pull their kid out when kid is cheating, throwing fits, etc. I think this whole "it's all about me" culture has had a negative effect in the US not just in tennis, but in everyday aspects of life. The way I see it it is my duty to stop my child from throwing rocks at cars, cheating in tennis, using foul language etc. As for the coaches they need to pull the kid out as soon as they see a bad call, during practice, practice matches, tournaments, USTA allows adults to make a decision to pull their child out of a match. So, as to your question about what to do with parents behaving badly, I think the only way for something to be done is to hire many referees for all tournaments, which of course would increase the fees, so if you are happy to pay $150 instead of $65 maybe that would allow tournament directors to hire more staff and observe all the parents and competitors. My son played a match recently and on the grass by the court sat the opponents dad and kept talking to his kid, in some foreign language, my son glanced a few times at this parent, but didn't do anything about it, like get the umpire. There was no need, said my son after the match, since he won 6-0, 6-1 but what if it was a close match?
All great posts here, but I thought you summed it up well.

First, I am sick of the parents talking in a foreign language.

My son had a ref on his court, a woman ref, who in my opinion, was intimidated by the opponent's father who yelled at her that she couldn't overrule calls that were not on her side
( can you believe she listened to this bully and then refused to make any calls on that side).

Anyway, the entire time the dad is hanging on the fence ( outdoor tournament) and talking to his son in a foreign language.

Why is English not allowed to be spoken at the matches,
but communication in a foreign languages are allowed to go on constantly????

Not denying that the refs are paid peanuts, so they don't want to fight with the parents....
But, some of the parents and kids are just ruining it for the majority.

And btw, I have seen USPD coaches doing this too. Refs seem to turn a blind eye to this.

Sad really, because for the younger kids (and the parents) who grew up in a culture of team sports and having 1-2 refs per game, this is one of the deciding reasons kids leave this sport for good.

Does the USTA care? I don't think so.

I am now hearing that if 2014 changes go through, there are plans to cut more tournaments in 2018.

And folks, since I was the one who brought up the 2014 changes to begin with on this board,
please realize the cuts in 2018 are for real.

The goal, per the USTA, is to have tennis as a sport that is played in your state only.
Like basketball, football, baseball is played in your state.
( traveling will be for select players at the very small USTA national tournaments and ITFS).
The goal is that when parent think about picking a sport for their kid,
they will think and consider tennis in the same manner as they would the popular sports)
The days of traveling will be like some old story that your grandparents mumble about...

ACTION STEP FOR TODAY - GET TO KNOW YOUR SECTION REP.
WATCH OTHER MATCHES, NOT YOUR KIDS, AND REPORT BAD BEHAVIOR AND CHEATING WHEN YOU SEE IT.
BELIEVE IT OR NOT, IF YOU WITNESS BAD BEHAVIOR, AND WRITE THESE KIDS UP AS A WITNESS,
IT WILL BE PUT IN THEIR RECORD.
IT WORKS, I HAVE DONE IT.
TAKES A VILLAGE.

Last edited by tennis5 : 12-04-2012 at 07:02 AM.