View Single Post
Old 12-04-2012, 03:17 PM   #39
jason586
Rookie

I've only strung on cranks, not drop weights. So, today an older friend that I hit with from time to time said he was going to bring his $160 Klippermate tomorrow and let me string one of my racquets to see how I like it before I buy one. He also said he would string my racquets any time for only $5, so I might just do that instead until another friend decides to offload his better machine this coming summer as mentioned in my earlier post. If I use something like a reel of Iontec, then that would be only $16 string + $20 labor per month if I restring once a week (I will try the various Iontec before I buy a reel).
I am going to at least give the Kevlar a shot since I already traded for it and have never tried it - maybe I will like and maybe not. I plan to string the Vantage 95" with the Kevlar mains at 50 lbs and the OGSM crosses at 55lbs unless someone convinces of a better tension.

I absolutely understand diminishing returns, and I do take an extra day off if I my body is saying to. I did take a 2 month family vacation in the summer in which I played almost no tennis and let my body rest. I was fairly worn down after 9 months of extensive playing, but while on vacation I researched a lot online and found a partial solution that has helped me immensely with fatigue, energy, and lactic acid build up in my legs when playing so much - the amino acid, Beta Alanine. I had never heard of it before, but the difference when I take it is night and day. My wife has also seen a measurable increase in energy and stamina by taking it as well. The bonus is that it is very cheap! There is a lot of info on it online if anyone is interested; I bought mine on amazon. We also do take nutrition seriously and eat mostly whole grains, vegetables, fruits and limit our junk food. I do not exercise outside of the extensive hours on the courts though, but tennis does keep me in pretty great shape. I understand endurance training outside of tennis would help, but I will likely not be doing it. I am not that serious as I enjoy the challenge and progress in tennis. It is not work for me, but the extra training outside of tennis would be very unenjoyable. Ultimately, I'm 37 and not trying to go pro. But I believe I can get to 5.0 and have made good progress in 15 months, but I'm sure (like in golf) this is the point where it is just starting to get harder to improve. Shooting 80 is difficult, but breaking 70 is a whole new ballgame.

To go a little off track: More than just great exercise and the challenge of playing quality tennis is that I have 4 young daughters with 2 lefties and 2 righties (ages - 2, 3.5, 5, 6.5) and a wife who is really taking to tennis after 4 months of playing. So, all the knowledge and training that I have acquired is being passed on to them now. Recently my wife and I have started going out to the courts 3 days a week for a few hours and feed each other balls and work on our game as well. My oldest is really wanting to play more and more as well. We are even considering buying a tennis club as there is one in our area that is closed down a few miles away and another that is losing money a few miles the other direction. The prices are extremely low and 50% below appraised value. The problem now is that lending is difficult to get on negative cash flow small businesses even if putting 20-35% down. So for now, we use the public courts which are all but vacant from about 10:30-3:30 and free to use.

Back to stringing: I read that the Black Iontec is the softest, then the Salmon, then the Hexa. I like a firm stringbed and have a open string 16x19 pattern which is why I was leaning toward the Hexa. I was using the i.prestige MP and really liked the firm 18x20 bed but with the amount of play I was doing, I could not handle the nearly 12.5+oz racquet's weight over time which is what lead me to the Vantages. So if I try the kevlar and it is not for me, which Iontec is the closest to the firmness of full BB ALU?
I have played Black Magic, Polylon, PL II, Lux Savage Black, all the BB ALUs; and I liked the firmness of the Polylon and ALU over the softer PLII and Black Magic.
So if I I try the kevlar and it is not for me, which Iontec is the closest to the firmness of full BB ALU? I've also considered Cyberflash, but I guess they changed the formula from what I read?
No matter what I poly use though, it will be better than the dead poly I've been using if I start stringing a racquet every week.

Last edited by jason586 : 12-04-2012 at 03:23 PM.
jason586 is offline   Reply With Quote