View Single Post
Old 12-05-2012, 07:42 AM   #117
tennis tom
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartelby View Post
Even the USTA code makes calling foot faults the very last resort, which means basically that they are not really enforceable at all:
They are as enforceable as you have the balls to stand up for the rules and yourself to enforce them on the cheater--ignorance of the rules or negligent behavior is NOT an excuse to cheat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartelby View Post
These two rules do not have the same status in non-refereed matches as a moment's reflection would tell you, and here is one national association's opinion:

Foot faults may only be called by an official standing on court or by a chair umpire. Players may be
requested to correct their foot faulting problem by a Referee or Court Supervisor, who will require
the player to make an effort during the match to rectify the problem. The receiver may not call a
foot fault against the server.
WHAT "national association" is that? If there is no official around, it's really not a very important match, it's social-rec tennis, only of any value and significance to the participants. If the f'f'er refuses to fix it or has a mental condition not allowing him to change, your remedies are to put up with it and write it off as exercise and practice. You can choose not to play with that person again and certainly don't have any business dealings with them--how you do one thing is how you do everything.

If it has become legal to foot-fault, we can call it the "Serena USO Rule Modification", and there are no consequences for it then I will employ the remedy below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by skraggle View Post
I am also baffled by the indifference shown to foot faults. Whether you like it or not, it is a rule and part of the game.

For those who disagree, let's play a virtual set:

I will start by serving from directly behind the net. My serves will be angled out and smashed like easy overheads and impossible to return. You will have no time to react.

You will object and I will move back.

I will move to just behind the service box. It will not as easy as serving right behind the net, but will be a huge advantage for me. Very little time for you to do anything.

My next serves will be from no man's land. While not the major plus I had before, it will steal time away from you and give me better leverage from which to win serve.

Now I will serve from one foot in front of the baseline, where foot-faulters frequently make contact and land. I will still take a little time away from you and have slightly better access to angles. While not a huge advantage, it helps me and hurts you to some degree.

Will you now no longer object?