View Single Post
Old 12-05-2012, 03:15 PM   #15
tennis5
Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhollines View Post
"Yes, college tennis mandates days away from schools,
but some high schools will not allow this to occur if you wish to attend their high school. I think the poster is alluding to that."

Thanks Tennis 5 as that was my point. I'm a former Div. I athlete (dad played pro) so I very much understand what it takes (I lived it) but that's not my point. Sports absolutely helps an individual learn to balance and prioritize but that's not my point either and, of course, that's assuming you can afford this crazy sport.

My point is even with all comments made, they/we could do a better job as a tennis community and society. For you SoCal and FL folks, you don't have to travel nearly as much for sectionals and regionals.

To the poster that said 12s don't matter, that's not true and you know it especially for folks in weak sections. It's not the ranking that matters necessarily at that age (although that can be debated based on raw data so let's be honest here) but the opportunity to play against the best . . . the best in a weak section doesn't cut it against the best in a stronger section so the weak section folks must travel more . . . just a reality. It's about exposure and the experience that benefits you later (and many of you know that).

Here's my point. For any 64 draw, you could start on Friday and finish Sunday (for ALL tournaments). Also, don't forget, if you are trying to save money, you don't get the best flight times . . . again, just reality. For 32 draw, you can do the same. In my section, we'll play sectionals in Jan. requiring 2-3 days of missed school, then 3 days later, regionals which will require at least 1 day (in some cases 2), so in a 10 day period, that's 3-4 days . . . do that 4x/5x times and that's serious days missed.

I was a honors student with All-American honors coming out of high school so I get it but I was asking a deeper question. It's not enough to just say "make a choice." The scheduling could be changed to allow kids both opportunities to excel in academics and athletics. It doesn't have to be an "or" proposition.

While in vain, I'll continue to fight. I wrote my senior thesis in college on the "fallacy of the student-athlete." Long story short, in college athletics, they COULD play everything on Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays if SCHOOL really mattered but we love the benefit of Big Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday games on ESPN . . . all driven by money. Of course, we can sit down and just say "it is what it is" but I'll fight to change it . . . because it's not right.

The USTA could issue a mandate that during the school year, ALL tournaments must be structured such that only 1 day of school is missed. And this isn't the only option as there a lot of ways to structure the junior tennis schedule if the premise and goal is EDUCATION is #1 . . .

As for the poster than mentioned the academy and home school route, please, let's be honest . . . that a financial issue and you know it. Again, I'm not attacking but let's be honest . . . there's so much you can do . . .

Harry

1)To the poster that said 12s don't matter, that's not true and you know it especially for folks in weak sections. It's not the ranking that matters necessarily at that age (although that can be debated based on raw data so let's be honest here) but the opportunity to play against the best . . .

2) the best in a weak section doesn't cut it against the best in a stronger section so the weak section folks must travel more . . . just a reality. It's about exposure and the experience that benefits you later

Most folks have read my posts ( probably too many times), so they can skip this one. All repeat info.

1) Yes and no. My son played another sport and switched over to tennis by the age of 13.
Pre national cuts, and so therefore he got into Copper Bowl, Texas Open, Southern Open.
He picked up some points.
Couldn't play clay or hard that summer, he couldn't get in.

Today, this can't happen anymore which is one of the main reasons I find the cuts so disturbing.
Some kids don't pick up a racquet until later.
But, now you really can't switch sports so easily.

I don't think the 12's matters much now that I have been to national tournaments ( 12-18 age groups all played) and watched the different age groups play.
In terms of tennis, 12's tennis is just too many moonballs and a waste of time, really.
However, in terms of experience of mentally being on the court, yes it is valuable.

2) From a weak section too. It is what it is..........

You state - The USTA could issue a mandate that during the school year,
ALL tournaments must be structured such that only 1 day of school is missed.

3) Nationals are from Saturday - Monday.

4) Sectionals are Friday - Sunday.
Yes, some are 6 hours from my home, and a national by plane sometimes seems faster.

So, technically, except for Easter Bowl ( which is being cut anyway),
I don't see more than one day of school being missed for a national or a sectional.
Fly out on Friday afternoon after school for a national.

5) You have to pick and choose. If she plays a national, then she doesn't play a sectional.

6) At this point, your junior is stuck playing sectionals
so you can get to be one the top 3 of the endorsement list to get into the Super Nats

7) USTA screwed up this royally with the 2010 cuts and 2012 cuts.
The little kids 8-12 are going to be hit the worst by it. It is a shame.

You state... The USTA could issue a mandate ...... if the premise and goal is EDUCATION is #1 . . .

The USTA could care less about your junior and their education.

Their goal is to increase the tennis base and get the great athletes that play football, baseball, and basketball.
The landscape of tennis in the future will be a sport played in your state for the majority of juniors.
They will handpick some of the super athletes in the future and pour a ridiculous amount of money into 20 juniors.
All in the hopes of getting 1-2 future juniors that they want to see in the US OPEN.

I was initially optimistic that the cuts would be put on hold, but the 2013 regional cut for July just happened...
I don't think that is a good sign. That was the one and only tournament that juniors could use to age up.
Cuts in the summer in an L3 ... 64 draw cut to 32 in the SUMMER. Wow.

HOWEVER, If these 2014 cuts go through..... rumor has it that some deep pocket tennis folks will be starting a new tennis association
and TRN will cover those matches.

Last edited by tennis5 : 12-05-2012 at 03:34 PM.