View Single Post
Old 12-05-2012, 10:43 PM   #59
rkelley
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCheese View Post
I have to very much disagree.

It's not a continuum, but two very distinct techniques and biomechanical movements that should not be confused.

It's supination vs pronation. Trade-off between ball speed and spin vs simultaneous production of both.

Someone with a semi-western using the Roddick technique vs the Federer technique produce a VERY different looking stroke and very different results.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boramiNYC View Post
think I understand what cheese is trying to say between sup vs pro. comparing the two SW and E fh hit with much topspin, in SW contact occurs in more supinated position of the hand than that of E grip by nature of the more rotated grip. IOW, when the racquet face angles are similar at contact, SW hand is slightly more supinated than E hand. going from straight arm to bent arm the hand supinates slightly which is why SW generally has more bent arm for the same reason. and the feel is different as well. that's why E fh people sometimes say push fh because it feels the contact happens more toward pronated hand position while SW is more associated with pull from supinated hand position. sorry a lot of ideas all together but hopefully makes sense.
So first a note, we're talking about producing a modern swing path, not hitting through the ball like with an old school E fh motion. With that said:

When I just shadow swing here at home one of the biggest things that I notice between a Western and an E. grip is that with the W grip upper arm rotation becomes way more of a factor in producing the swing path around the contact area. With the E. grip it's almost all pronation at contact. Upper arm rotation only comes into play after contact to decelerate the racquet. That upper arm rotation is the "lever" that I believe Will Hamilton was referring to.

In either case the forearm supinates quite a bit before contact. I think boramiNYC is probably correct in saying that at contact the forearm is more supinated with the W. grip than the E. I would think that this is because with the W. grip you have the upper arm also playing a big role in generating the racquet's swing path while with the E. grip the upward motion at the time of contact is almost all in the forearm. Check out any Fed video.

All of this still points to a continuum from what I can see. If there are two distinct techniques is there some grip where a player goes from one technique to the other. Can you cite examples that we can check out on youtube?
rkelley is offline   Reply With Quote