View Single Post
Old 12-06-2012, 10:14 AM   #24
diredesire
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to diredesire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmnk View Post
yes indeed, it is what it is. But I seriously wonder if we are not nearing the time when people do realize what the stock market is and just stop buying - which will be just the end of stock investing as we know it. It already appears that there's fewer new investors coming (just like in ponzi schema when you run out of new gullible folks).

In fact when you see index return from like 1999 till now (~13 years) you will see that there's virtually no return over this 13 year period whatsoever. Not 8% yearly, not 5% yearly , nothing. (i mean assuming you invested in Jul 1999 and just hold till now).

When you say "there's still better options than holding money" - what are those? I'm seriously asking since I do agree that putting it in the bank is indeed a losing proposition due to inflation.
It really depends on how old you are, and how risk adverse you are. Holding cash and/or savings is ~1% now, almost any investing scheme is better! If we're avoiding discrete stock trading, most funds or bonds will be better. Not to mention tax advantaged accounts, but that still falls under the same large umbrella. If you're avoiding trading/attempting to game the system, then your options are relatively limited (real estate, microloans, angel investing, possibly fine art...?)

Mod Qs/Concerns/etc? E-mail me! (please make return/profile e-mail is valid!)
diredesire is offline   Reply With Quote